Can You Really Lose 23 pounds in 3 weeks?
The 3 Week Diet is a new diet promising quick weight loss. It’s creator, Brian Flatt, claims that you can lose between 12 and 23 pounds of fat in just 21 days. It seems a lot, so do his claims stand up? Does the 3 week diet really work?
Unlike some other reviews of the 3 week diet, our reviewer Karen has completed the full 21 days so if you would like to read about how she found the diet, how much weight she lost and how much she cheated(!) click here.
The 3 week diet is basically a combination of different diets which are chained together into different phases. The diet starts with a detox phase, then an optional fasting phase followed by two different low carb phases.
As you might imagine with a diet promising such quick weight loss, the diet does seem quite extreme – and to carry out each phase to the maximum is not easy. As Karen found, it can make you feel pretty drained to start with. But as it’s only for 3 weeks and the final phase is the least daunting, it is achievable. It is possible to do the diet in a slightly less extreme form, simply knowing that you’re not maximizing your weight loss.
As usual to aid weight loss, the weight loss plan includes an exercise program. This is split into two parts both with different types of exercises. The required exercise during the program is to walk every day before breakfast. The optional part is a classic dumbbell based workout program, which is intended to maximize fat burning. As this workout is optional, if you’re not a fan of this type of exercise, it’s no problem, you will easily lose weight without it, but you will slim more if you put in the extra effort.
To balance against the restricted nature of the diet, standing on the scales each day and finding that you’ve lost weight is a great motivator. And that’s the thing that keeps us going through the hunger pangs of the detox and fasting phases.
Does it work?
As Karen found it, yes it does work, although if you want to get the results the sales video says is possible, then you’ll have to work a bit harder and cheat less than Karen did!
Theoretically, of course, it should work. Most of the diet phases specify low carb eating and there is a wealth of research showing that low carb is effective for weight loss.
The diet’s creator, Brian Flatt, quotes many scientific studies supporting his rationale for each phase of the diet. My personal opinion is that it looks like he’s put the diet together using a process of trial and error and then tried to find some supporting science to bulk out the manual. This would be the reason that the science and the diet don’t always match up. But regardless, the results speak for themselves.
Who is the 3 Week Diet best for?
- The program is suitable for anyone who wants quick weight loss.
- People who have the willpower to get them through the hunger pangs.
Who should avoid it?
- Anyone already on a medically supervised diet (including diabetics)
- Vegetarians would have trouble with the detox phase unless they are very fond of eggs.
What’s included in the program?
The 3 week diet system is comprised of 4 manuals, these are:
- The Introduction Manual – This explains why we get fat and the science behind this particular diet’s effectiveness. It discusses what to do (and not to do) while following the diet and also covers, in depth, the recommended supplements and what they do to help quicker weight loss.
- The Diet Plan Manual – This gives step by step instructions for calculating your BMR and how it relates to what you need to eat in order to lose weight. It explains what to eat, and when to eat it.
- The Workout manual – This gives detailed instructions on how to perform the Full Body Fat Blasting Workout. It includes diagrams and full instructions.
- Mindset and Motivation Manual. Some ideas to try and help keep you on track with the diet. Hopefully seeing the weight loss and feeling the changes will be motivating enough.